One of the most important things to do with any business is establish an effective process.
Without one, you’re going to get overwhelmed, which can lead to poor customer service and burn out.
Most fashion trucks have a online store. If you sale 50 or more items a week you really need a system. Here are a few tips for streamlining your shipping process.
General Shipping Tips
- Determine shipping cost. You can purchase a scale, use a kitchen scale, or get it weighed. Of course, if your items fits in the USPS Flat Rate boxes you don’t have to worry about this step. Check out these postage calculators from USPS, UPS, and FedEx.
- Create a shipping policy that is also reflected on your site. Will you include tracking, insurance, etc.? Domestic only, or will you ship oversees?
- Preorder boxes from USPS for free
- After you determine what you need for your packaging (stickers, tissues paper, labels, cards, etc.) be sure to have plenty on hand
- If you’re not going to use USPS think about getting boxes in bulk from places like Uline.com or Amazon.com.
- Purchase shipping label stickers for your printer so you don’t have to cut and glue
Use Shipping Software
I have to admit, I’ve never used shipping software, but if I had hundreds of orders going out weekly I probably would.
Here are some of the most popular amongst small business:
These services make it easy to ship large volumes without having to go to the post office. You can print labels, track products and more.
If you decide to use USPS why note use their pickup service.
By doing so you can add an extra 30+ minutes to your day!
[bctt tweet=”Shipping Tips For Your Online Boutique”]
In general, make sure you have a process that works for you. Even determining how you’re going to organize your products so you can easily grab and ship them.
Also, think about having a checklist that include items such as remembering to put the receipt in the box and/or a coupon.
Do you have any helpful shipping tips? Comment below.