Allison Sharpe & Meagan Larkin are the owners of the cool soon-to-be Hunt & Gather fashion truck in NYC. These gals have been prepping hardcore in order to successfully make their launch goal of mid-Spring / early Summer of 2016. Hunt & Gather will specialize in women’s apparel, accessories and home/lifestyle design with a focus on local + USA made products.
Allison + Meagan had the fantastic idea to launch a 45-day Kickstarter campaign in order to raise funds to purchase their truck and complete the buildout process. So far, through meticulous planning, creativity and solid branding, they are more than half way into hitting their overall goal of $7,000.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Allison has experience in fashion and a degree in clothing design, which prompted her desire to open a store.
[bctt tweet=”Once I started getting the skills…being a store owner became more of a reality…a closer dream than I originally thought it would be.” via=”no”]
- In November 2015 they both decided to pursue the dream of owning a mobile boutique.
- The 1st year of the planning process involved taking classes and doing more research about business, owning a store, retail, getting logos made, etc.
- The majority of 2015 was spent getting the Kickstarter campaign started, plus going to trade shows trying to figure out what products they might want to buy.
- Taking business classes has helped them to better understand cash flow, setting up a biz plan, determine a budget for purchasing product, and much more.
- Any products purchased and/or the budget for those products will all depend on the square footage of the “future” truck.
- They have created a 45-day Kickstarter campaign with a $7,000 goal to help them raise money for purchasing the truck.
- When setting up the Kickstarter campaign, they carefully considered what rewards to give the people who donated money.
[bctt tweet=”For the Kickstarter donation rewards, you definitely want to make it worth the effort for people to donate money” via=”no”]
- Kickstarter Tip: Be sure not to have an excessive amount of “Tiers” for people to choose from. They key is to have fewer tiers, with each having great rewards.
- Kickstarter has an “all or nothing” rule. You have to reach your goal in order to receive any of the donations. Otherwise, all of the money is refunded back to the donators.
- Kickstarter also takes a percentage off of the top if your campaign is successful.
- If their Kickstarter campaign is successful, Allison & Meagan will use the funds to purchase their truck.
- Instead of getting a wrap, they plan to get the truck painted by one of their artist friends.
- Allison & Meagan also plan to do tons of DIY labor on the truck’s build out.
- The goal for the launch date is early spring or mid summer 2016.
- Social media has been a huge help in driving attention to their Kickstarter campaign.
This American Life (podcast)
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
FIND HUNT & GATHER
Website: Hunt & Gather
Facebook: Hunt & Gather
ENJOY MORE EPISODES