In today’s episode, we’ll be speaking with Abby Rosen, owner of The Uncommon Loon in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Abby was fortunate enough to have worked in the retail industry for the majority of her “working” life, which has enable her to perfect her craft. In addition to operating the mobile boutique, Abby has a full-time job as an English Teacher. Unlike most mobile boutique owners, since she has the summers off from teaching, she can take the bus out full-time during those months.
We will hear how Abby came up with the name for her business, as well as, how she was able to get the business up and running for all under $10k!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- How Abby worked in retail in for several years.
- How her friend’s book truck gave her the idea to start researching info on mobile boutiques / fashion trucks.
[bctt tweet=”Once I found a bus…it all kind of started falling into place —@uncommonloonmn “]
- How the goal of The Uncommon Loon is to provide shoppers with unique vintage items.
[bctt tweet=”Its always evolving…You never know what you’re gonna find —@uncommonloonmn”]
- How Abby came up with the name “The Uncommon Loon”.
- How Abby was trying to finish up college and the build-out of the bus at the same time.
- How much of an investment went into starting The Uncommon Loon.
- How doing some of the truck renovations herself helped to keep the initial costs down.
- How Abby chose to initially use a sign instead of getting a wrap for the bus.
- How people’s enthusiasm for this novelty idea helped Abby’s plans come to fruition.
[bctt tweet=”People wanna be a part of something cool and different —@uncommonloonmn”]
- How Abby’s full-time job as an English teacher allows for the perfect schedule to operate her mobile boutique.
- What discovery Abby made while trying to decide what type of clothing to sell.
- How Abby is able to sell her vintage clothing without having a dressing room on the bus.
- That Abby’s best selling items are her cotton dresses.
- How Abby can tell people how to try things on without having to actually try them on.
- How The Uncommon Loon is the only fashion truck in the Twin Cities area that sells used second-hand inventory, which at this time, prohibits Abby from parking on the city streets.
- Which POS system works best for Abby’s mobile business.
- How Abby plans to structure her private parties.
WHERE TO FIND THE UNCOMMON LOON
ENJOY MORE EPISODES