Melissa Melbourne is the owner of Sense of Style Boutique in New Jersey. She has a graduate degree in Public Administration and works a full-time job with a major public utility company in NJ. In her spare time she sells clothes, more specifically, she sells a vision!
Melissa initially started off with a brick and mortar boutique, but within the last year she decided to transition over into the mobile boutique and she absolutely loves it!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Melissa’s love affair with fashion began back when she was in grade school.
In hindsight, looking back now…I was always a Stylist-In-Training!
- Her mantra is that “She sells a vision…and the clothes sell themselves.”
- She created the truck out of basic necessity b/c she needed a simple way to transport her clothes, that also made her customer’s shopping experience easier.
- Before the truck, she would load up the trunk of her car, go to different salons and sell clothes out of suitcases.
- She realized that when people are spending their money, they prefer a better level of service. Knowing this prompted her to think of other ways to sell her clothing.
- Her initial idea was to open a brick and mortar store, but the ultimate goal was the fashion truck.
- The 1st thing she did was apply for her Tax Identification Number and researched how to open a business in New Jersey.
- Unfortunately, with the truck, she doesn’t make any money in the winter time due to the weather. So she focuses all of her efforts in the summer months.
- She purchased a pretzel truck for $2700 and she had to put more money into it for the buildout.
- Her idea for the layout of the truck was to be similar to a walk-in closet.
- Instead of operating as a Sole Proprietor, Melissa registered her business as an LLC (Limited Liability Company).
- She made $5,000 on her truck’s launch day.
- She knew she needed to hire an assistant when she started to get so busy that should couldn’t remember everything that needed to be done.
Fashion Bomb Daily (blog)
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
FIND SOS BOUTIQUE:
Website: SOS Boutique
Facebook: Sense of Style Boutique
ENJOY MORE EPISODES