Have you ever wondered what the internet has on you? What people are writing about you and/or your company.
It’s important to know for a variety of reasons:
- It allows you to get a sense of what the media is writing about you (news organizations, bloggers, etc.)
- If someone has written something negative, inaccurate, or inappropriate you can respond.
- It’s good to know what people think about your brand.
So I know you’re wondering, what’s the best way to accomplish this.
I have two steps to help you keeping track of your brand. The first is more manual, while the others can be set up to keep track of your queries automatically.
Simple, but useful.
At least once a month I’ll Google our company name to find out what comes up. I’ll go through the first 5 search result pages to find out what’s listed, see what else is ranking for those search terms, and see if we are mentioned somewhere unexpected. Depending on the results I may take certain actions.
Don’t you just love Google. They have so many free goodies. Not to long ago we discussed their Google Analytics app.
Today we’re going to talk about Google Alerts. It’s exactly as it sounds. It will alert you, via email if you choose, of anything on the web that meets the perimeters you have set.
Setting up Google Alerts
- Go to Google Alerts
- Sign in with your Gmail account. If you don’t have one, create one. This account can be used for Google Analytics, YouTube, and so much more!
- In the box that says “Create and alert about…” type in your fashion truck name. Be sure to put quotes around it so Google can find the exact match. you’ll begin to see some of the results in the preview section.
- You can click the “show options” link next to the “Create Alert” button to specify how often you want to receive alerts.
- Click the “Create Alert” button
That’s it! Pretty easy right?
TIP: When you get the alerts in your email, make sure they look like they are coming from reputable sites. Unfortunately, there are some nefarious sites that will include your company and you’ll click on a link that takes you to a suspicious site. You usually can tell if it coming from a news site or other reputable online spaces.
I’d love to know what you find out about your company. Add it to the comments below.