Tonya Montgomery is a fashion clothing designer and the owner of Mixx Collection in Oakland, California. Mixx Collection happens to be her brand and the name of her mobile boutique.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Tonya went to school for Fashion Design.
- She has experience in Corporate Retail and Production.
- When Tonya first started her brand, Mixx Collection, she only did made-to-order and custom orders.
- Before the mobile boutique she sold online and at fashion events or artisan shows.
- In 2014, she began doing the ground work and making pros & cons lists for opening the mobile boutique.
- She actually launched her mobile boutique in September 2015.
- She purchased a 12ft – 1997 Utility Master DHL Delivery truck. It was already a blank slate inside, so she didn’t have to gut it out for the renovation.
- She worked with a contractor for the build-out of the mobile boutique.
- She wanted a small truck so that it was comfortable for her to drive + something small enough to accommodate her inventory.
- Her customers like the fact that they are buying unique items from a local designer.
- Currently she has not made a profit with the truck. She has pretty much broken even. And she has chosen not to pay herself at this time until she starts to make a profit.
- She also works a part-time job in addition to running the mobile boutique.
- She partners with Farmer’s Markets, Wineries, Bars and other businesses to setup & park her mobile boutique.
- Her advise to others is to be precise and do a lot of research to know exactly what you want.
This American Life (podcast)
Photo Editor Pro (app)
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
FIND MIXX COLLECTION:
Web: Mixx Collection
ENJOY MORE EPISODES