Jennifer and Mike are the owners of Indigo Home located in Maryland Heights, Missouri. Their goal is to stay trendy while also catering to different styles.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Originally, they had a different name planned for the mobile boutique, but after testing it out with friends & family, they decided to change it.
- The name Indigo Home is actually inspired by Jen’s grandmother.
- They came up with the idea around Aug 2015 and then launched the biz in June 2016.
- They have found that the hardest part of this process was locating & purchasing a truck.
- Jen is the one that primarily chooses the merchandise.
- Jen orders merchandise in small quantities so that they don’t have to sit on them for too long.
- Before you purchase a truck, make sure to take into consideration the ceiling height of the truck.
- The height of the ceilings should be at least 7 feet to ensure that your customers will be able to comfortably walk in and out.
- When designing the interior, Jen took elements that she really like from living rooms and tried to implement them into the truck. (i.e. built-in book cases).
- They painted the ceiling of the truck a light blue to bring in elements from outside.
- They built up one of the wheel wells to create a counter height caddy shelf to hold back stock inventory.
- In addition to writing out a Business Plan, they had a projection of things they needed vs what they actually wanted to spend on those items.
- Missouri currently has no legislation on how to manage mobile retail within the municipalities.
- They recommend to set a personal deadline for yourself, which will push you to get the truck completed on time.
- They approached a local Micro Brewery and asked them if they could host their grand opening.
[bctt tweet=”You can’t be afraid to talk to people about your business.” username=”@IndigoHomeDecor”]
- In efforts to get beyond friends & family on Facebook, Jen joined several networking groups in order to get the word out about her new business.
- They used GoDaddy for their website platform.
- They recommend to invest in having a professional website built and have professional photography. Good photos are very important.
- They use Square as the POS system.
bplans.com (business plans)
Rhonna Photo Editing App (iPhone)
Bitmoji Keyboard (iPhone)
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
FIND INDIGO HOME:
Web: Indigo Home
ENJOY MORE EPISODES