Lorraine Sanders is a journalist, business woman and the host of her very own podcast, The Spirit of 608. In this episode, she shares her beliefs about FEST (Fashion, Entrepreneurship, Sustainability and Technology). She believes that fashion has a lot of power to do good in the world and her goal is to be a part of that.
Additionally, Lorraine provides great tips for getting press coverage for your business.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Lorraine’s background is in media and she has been a journalist for almost 15 years.
- Within the last 7-8 years she has only covered the business of fashion.
- During her pursuit of a career in fashion journalism she became interested in the intersection of fashion and technology. (i.e. 3-D printed technology, wearable tech, the way tech is making e-commerce more efficient, etc.)
- She focuses on how tech is making fashion a different kind of industry than it has traditionally been in the past and her specific interest in the creative, independent, and entrepreneurial side of fashion.
- The Spirit of 608 is a podcast for and about women who are at the intersection of FASHION, ENTREPRENEURSHIP, SUSTAINABILITY and TECH (F.E.S.T)!
- The purpose of the Spirit of 608 podcast was her way of shifting her career to make more of a positive impact on fashion.
- Some examples of where fashion meets technology are:
- Even though she is a journalist, she feels that it is a waste of time for new – small business owners to create a press release.
- She provides the following tips or suggestions to get meaningful coverage:
- Start thinking about your media and press strategy during the same time that you are making your initial business plan because the two should be closely aligned.
- Have a clear understanding of why you are contacting the media and who your target audience should be.
- Who’s your ideal audience?
- What national / local publications are targeting that particular customer?
- Look into those publications and create a small contact list – and follow them on social media in order to build some sort of relationship.
Ringly (wearable tech jewelry)
Feetz (3-D printed footwear)
Rebecca Minkoff (bracelets)
Sustainably Chic (blog)
The Year of Open (private slack group)
The Skimm (news subscription)
Refinery 29 (app – news subscription)
Smart Passive Income (podcast)
Entrepreneur on Fire (podcast)
The Lively Show (podcast)
That’s So Retrograde (podcast)
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
FIND SPIRIT OF 608
ENJOY MORE EPISODES