In this episode, we spoke with Leslie Cox, the owner of The Pooch House in San Antonio, TX. This is another non-traditional mobile boutique with a great creative concept. Initially, Leslie started out selling her pet clothing online and at craft shows. Her ultimate goal was to expand her business and make more sales, so she took it to the next level and opened the mobile boutique back in November 2014.
The Pooch House caters specifically to dog owners. What makes The Pooch House stand out from other pet stores is that all of the dog clothing sold on the truck is handmade by Leslie.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Getting her Yorkie a few years ago prompted Leslie to start sewing her own pet clothing, which eventually led to selling them online and at craft shows.
- With the intent to grow the business and get more sales, Leslie did her research on the mobile retail business and decided to open up The Pooch House.
- She found her 1991 GMC box truck on Craigslist in Houston.
- Her husband did all of the interior renovations.
- When getting the truck ready, Leslie’s biggest expense was hiring a professional for the painting and the installation of the exterior vinyl graphics.
- Since this industry is all to new to Leslie, she is still struggling with marketing and believes that is her weakest point so far.
- In order to drum up more opportunities for her mobile boutique, Leslie created a PowerPoint presentation to get businesses to allow her to setup shopping events at local venues and markets.
- Her best-selling item is sports gear, specifically the Antonio Spurs dresses and the Cowboys dress and harness.
- She has decided not to ever sell her products wholesale because of the tremendous workload involved.
- The average price-point for her products is around $15.
- Leslie uses Square as the POS system in her mobile boutique.
- Her most successful events have been “Yappy Hours” at apartment complexes.
- Her advice to future mobile boutique owners is to make sure to have a maintenance fund because anything can happen.
- Leslie partnered up with a local pet groomer in order to sell her handmade products in their shop.
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
FIND THE POOCH HOUSE:
Facebook: The Pooch House
Web: The Pooch House
ENJOY MORE EPISODES