Today on the Can I Park here podcast we’ll be talking with Katherine Campau, owner of the Sloane Street Style mobile boutique in Detroit, Michigan.
Katherine currently works in the Advertising field, but 2 years ago, she had a dream to venture out and open her own boutique. After being pressed with the overwhelming fear of investing in a brick & mortar business that could possibly fail, she and her husband decided to start a mobile boutique business instead. Afterwhich, Sloane Street Style was born…making it the FIRST fashion truck in the Detroit area!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- The story behind how Katherine & her husband came up with the idea of starting a mobile boutique.
- How Katherine came up with her business name after getting stranded in London.
- The ins & outs of navigating her way around government/city ordinances & legislation.
- The fact that her friends & family initially didn’t understand the concept and thought that she was crazy for wanting to drive around and sell stuff out of a truck!
- What decisions went into deciding on what type of truck to purchase.
- How living in the Mid-West presents its challenges as far as cold weather changes and how it affects her mobile business.
- The unexpected renovations to the interior of the truck and how it affected her budget and the expected completion date.
- How she learned that you HAVE to be prepared for mechanical issues, unless you are buying a brand new truck.
- Her total business startup costs (including the truck purchase + materials + renovation + licensing + inventory + insurance).
- The possibility of being able to save a ton of money by doing the renovations yourself.
- Her tactics for ensuring that everything is secured and doesn’t fall down while the truck is moving.
- All products sold by Sloane Street Style are “American-made” and “Responsibly Sourced”.
- The challenge of balancing a full-time job in addition to working the truck on nights & weekends.
- Even though she has worked in Advertising for several years, what she finds most difficult to do is “self-promotion”.
- One of her ultimate long-term goals is to be able to coordinate a fashion truck rally with other existing trucks in the area, and own an actual brick & mortar boutique, in addition to having the truck.
WHERE TO FIND SLOAN STREET STYLE