FFT recently received a question asking us what Point of Sale (POS) systems are most used by fashion trucks who have an online shop and sale out of their truck. Valid question becuase you want your inventory to sync up so you don’t accidentally sale something you don’t have. Fashion Trucks please comment below on your favorite system.
This was a tricky questions because POS systems vary and it really depends on multiple variables such as the size of a business, how much a company is willing to invest, how the website is set up and the list goes on.
I decided to focus on some of the most popular ones for small businesses. Please note your web host may offer some eCommerce options that integrate with some of the POS apps mentioned below. You will have to talk to your host to find out what’s possible.
With all of these option I suggest considering following:
- Compare transaction fees
- Check out the rating of their online app
- Is the app available for your smart phone (iPhone, Android, or Windows)?
- Is the app available for the tablet? If not, are you ok with making in person transaction via the phone.
- Will the app allow you to make cash transactions? Does it accept all payment types?
- Consider cost of additional card readers
- Can you make sales offline?
- Will the app work without the reader?
- Check out reviews for all companies
- Do you like their card reader? All aren’t created equal.
- Will the POS system work with your favorite payment gateway, if you have one (PayPal, Google Checkout, ect)
- Some mobile POS systems only work for US sales. If you’re thinking about using it internationally make sure that’s an option.
Full eCommerce Web Storefront + Mobile App
If you don’t have the cash to have someone build a website with a fully integrated shopping cart you can set it up on your own. There are other companies you can use to set up an ecommerce site, Bigcommerce, however they may not have POS apps available without using a third party app.
- Shopify – card reader + app + set up a web storefront
- Bigcommerce – Set up a web storefront + Sync it with other hardware readers
- Wix – Set up a web storefront + sync with PayPal app
Website Integration + Mobile App
The following can be integrated into your current website. There are other ways to add ecommerce to your existing site, Woocommerce WordPress plugin; however, you will have to find out if you can sync up with one of these third party apps. You may need to higher a developer to integrate PayPal and Amazon in to your website or you might be able to integrate using plugins or other technology.
- PayPal – card reader + app + must integrate PayPal into your site and/or set up a store with them that you can link to
- Amazon Local Register+ card reader + app + Integrate Amazon into your website
POS Software that works with a wide range of hardware.
Setup Store and Link It Off of Your Page + Mobile App
If you already have a website set up you can create a shopping page using one of these sites and then create a link in your navigation called “Shop”, for example, and send your customer there. Or you can find out if your web host or ecommerce plugin integrates with any of the following:
- Square – card reader + app + Square online store
- Intuit GoPayment – card reader + app + Quickbooks Webstore
- Etsy + card reader (currently out of stock) + app + Etsy Store
The key is to contact these companies. If you already have a favorite, call or email them to find out what the best options are for website integrations.
You may find that you need to change host or web platforms.
Please let me know your preferred POS system.
Newly Discovered POS