Sarah Platt is the owner/operator of Urban Izzy. She originally started the business in Texas, but recently has moved to Folly Beach, South Carolina. Sarah has ran her mobile boutique for almost 5 years and has also opened up 2 successful pop-up stores during the course of this time.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Prior to opening the truck, Sarah was a Real Estate Agent + she has a retail background.
- She has always had a passion for fashion and has wanted to own a store.
- In 2011, she realized that a brick & mortar store was out of her budget and that led her on her journey to owning a mobile boutique.
- She used her savings + a family gift in order to purchase her truck.
- Originally, she wanted an Airstream, but she soon decided against it because it would have been hard to managed by herself.
- She found her truck and had to get it towed in order to get it fix.
- She was firm with her budget because she didn’t want to have any debt.
- She recruited a friend to help her design the truck.
- She opened the truck for business in 2012.
- The 1st 2 years were the hardest for her. She had to also maintain a side job in real estate.
- After 2 years, she built relationships on where she could park.
- She eventually opened up 2 pop-up stores, which brought in more income.
- “Fashion Truck Collection” (a group of 4 other trucks) was the 1st pop-up inside of a store that she did in Texas.
- The pop-up was actually in a temporary space with an open-end lease.
- The space was so huge, that she brought in 3 other fashion truck owners to share the space for the pop-up.
- She did the 1st pop-up for 6 months.
- “Fashion Truck Society” was the 2nd pop-up store and it had more trucks participating.
- She found an area on Folly Beach where the food trucks park and she was able to setup shop and park. She pays rent and is able to leave the truck there.
- She believes that one of the best things about fashion trucks is that they are on wheels…you can go to where the people are.
- She has only been selling online for about 2 years. But it was hard for her to juggle the truck in addition to the online store.
After The Jump w/ Grace Bonney (podcast)
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
FIND URBAN IZZY:
ENJOY MORE EPISODES