Joslyn Slaughter is the owner of Shop The Thrifty Fashionista Mobile Boutique in Chicago, IL. Joslyn runs the mobile boutique with her mom. The focus of their business is higher-end / upscale designer items.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Her mom is her business partner. They used to own a brick & mortar resale boutique in the Bronzeville neighborhood in Chicago.
- The resale shop was open for about 4 years.
- From concept to completion, it was about 8 months.
- She launched the mobile boutique back in September 2016.
- Her mom’s mechanic found the truck for them. It only took him about 1 month to find it.
- Instead of getting a wrap installed on the truck, she found an artist to paint artwork on the truck.
- The overall total investment for starting the mobile boutique business was around $30-$35k.
- She has a very good support system. Her fiance helps with taking photos for social media.
- She also plans to incorporate an online store.
- She has a pop-up shop in Bronzeville until February. The pop-up shop includes both men’s and women’s clothing. Located at 646 1/2 E. 43rd St, Chicago IL.
- The City of Chicago has recently come out with a temporary license that will allow her to park at street meters. The license last for 2-years.
- If you live in colder climates, she recommends having a set of interior doors to help keep in the heat.
- She recommends contacting the city to find out any upcoming events that you can participate in.
- She also does private parties.
- She uses Square on the truck for her POS system. The website is Shopify.
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
FIND SHOP THE THRIFTY FASHIONISTA:
ENJOY MORE EPISODES