In this episode, we spoke with Tosha Jackson, owner of the TYPOGRFX truck in Lawson, MO. This is not your typical mobile retail business, she sales custom word art. In addition to getting the aid of a Business Coach, Tosha’s extensive graphic design background and creative mind has allowed her to excel in this niche market of personalized wood art and home decor.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- In 2009, Tosha lost her job and decided to start her own business.
- During the 1st few years she divided her business into 3 services: Graphic Design, Portrait Photography and Custom Art Work.
- In 2012, she started working with a business coach who suggested that she focus her efforts on just one aspect of the business, which was to grow the custom art work service.
- In 2013, after the change in the structure, she realized that her business actually tripled in sales because of it.
- In the last 7 years she has done almost 3,000 custom art pieces across the U.S., Canada and Australia.
- One key note is to focus on one aspect of your business so that you don’t confuse your customers. People need to understand what you are about. And whenever there is confusion, then that’s when you know you need to re-evaluate your business structure so that you don’t lose business.
- Tosha found her truck on Craigslist.
- After purchasing the truck, she realized that it is very expensive to insure a mobile retail business.
- Tosha recommends searching around for different companies that provide commercial liability in order to get the best rates possible.
- She decided not to get the truck wrapped. Instead, she designed the graphics herself and had them made vinyl decals.
- It took 2 months to repair the vehicle and do all of the painting + interior build-out, which saved thousands of dollars.
- The price points on her custom art pieces start around $35 and can go up to over $400. Pricing is based solely on the material that it is printed on.
- Her best seller is burlap prints on barn wood frames.
- About 95% of her business is personalized pieces.
- To make her business inside of the truck flow better + also to avoid overwhelming the customers, she decided to start implementing gift certificates. The customer chooses the frame and the size, then pays for the gift certificate, which then allows them to go online at their convenience to place their personalized order.
- She uses Square as the POS system inside of the truck and hand writes her gift certificates.
All Pack Co. (we didn’t confirm that this is were she got her boxes, but it was close to the name she mentioned)
ASK FFT (Leave us a voice-recorded question and we will answer it on the next episode)
YouTube: TYPOGRFX | Word Art & Home Decor
ENJOY MORE EPISODES